If your eyes are the windows to your soul, then your lips are a reflection of your mood. Like our moods, our lip color choices change from day to day; they can reflect how we feel. Are you feeling boldly businesslike, perfectly put together, deliciously sweet, glamorously ready for an evening, or naturally earthly? However your mood inspires your lip color choice, first take a good look at your canvas (your lips). Cracked, Dry and Lined
Say goodbye to cracked, dry, dehydrated and lined lips by eliminating chemically harsh formulations which include wax, petrochemical dyes, and alcohols. Traditional lip products have all kinds of questionable ingredients. Reputable mineral make-up lines avoid these chemically harsh ingredients. While chemical dyes are beautiful in color and easy to formulate, they can go directly into the lymph nodes. Women may absorb up to four pounds of lipstick dyes throughout their lifetime.
Remove, Restore, Renew
Say hello to “good for your skin ingredients” and nutrients that remove excess tissues, restore nutrients, and renew supple, healthy lips. Reputable mineral make-up lines begin with ingredients such as, but not limited to:
- Papaya and glycolic extract to exfoliate and smooth the lips
- Beta-carotene, shea butter, vitamin E, and aloe begin to moisturize
- Borage, lemon, peppermint, rose hip, and castor oils (to repair and restore aggravating environmental factors) leaving your lips looking plump
- almitoyl oligo peptide to repair the structure of the skin over time, plumping the look of the lips and benefiting lip repair
- Colors that are dye free and made of iron oxide inherently natural from the earth making them long lasting
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, titanium dioxide coupled with zinc oxide as a sunscreen for your lips.
Shiny Lip Balms and Glosses May Actually Attract UV Rays Wear sunscreen on your face everyday? Think you’re covered? Well, think again. How do you protect your lips from the sun? Many women may think their balms and glosses have got them covered, but experts say they are dangerously mistaken. Christine Brown, MD dermatologist on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, says that people who are planning to be outdoors for 20 minutes at a time need a specific lip block with an SPF of 30. So if you want shimmer be sure your block is applied underneath, or give your lips shimmer and shield with an SPF gloss that is dye free and formulated to provide UVA and UVB sun protection with long lasting moisture that will plump the look of your lips. So, love your lips. Their attraction can be expressively powerful, but only if properly cared for. They’ll thank you for it.
Margie Carr is a California State Board Licensed Clinical Esthetician and owner of Reflections Skin Oasis.