How to prevent diaper rash?
In order to prevent diaper rash, here are some tips:
- Change the diaper as soon as it is soiled
- Clean the skin properly with gentle, non-irritating products and pay special attention to drying!
- Choose diapers that are tolerated by your baby (ultra-absorbent disposable, organic, washable), for this, nothing is better than testing them. However, reusable diapers are not recommended because of their low absorption power.
- And above all, protect and moisturize! Many blogs, websites or other magazines will recommend the use of Vaseline. Be aware that Vaseline is a product derived from petroleum, decried because of its carcinogenic potential, its polluting manufacturing process as well as its slow and non-total degradation. Beware also of allergenic substances such as lanolin, stearyl alcohol and perfumes for example.
It is preferable to use instead pastes with or without zinc containing numerous vegetable oils (sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, olive, etc.) with nourishing, emollient and protective properties.
So, paste WITH or WITHOUT zinc?
What is Zinc Oxide?
Zinc oxide (formula ZnO) is an inert white powder extracted from pure zinc ore. It is widely used in cosmetics, particularly for its properties:
- Soothing: calms irritated or delicate skin in creams or lotions
- Antibacterial: fights against the proliferation of bacteria on acne-prone skin
- Anti-odour: neutralizes the production of acids, it is ideal in the formulation of deodorants
- Matifying: white matte pigment, it is used in make-up in powders and foundations
- Anti-UV protective: used in sunscreens for adults and children, it forms a protective film on the surface of the skin and reflects UV rays (see another article on sunscreens)
The debate WITH or WITHOUT Zinc
After listing the many benefits of zinc, you will say, but why is there any debate, it is a revolutionary ingredient!
Unfortunately, it’s not that simple… Scientific studies are still lacking on this subject, and many researchers contradict each other, but one thing is certain, zinc oxide is the talk of the town!
Zinc oxide can be used in microparticulate form (between 1 and 100 micrometers) or even smaller, in nanoparticulate form (between 1 and 100 nanometers). The micro form is safe, but the nano form, although easier to spread, is accused of penetrating the skin barrier and accumulating in the body. This makes zinc oxide potentially carcinogenic!
If the European Commission has decided to warn consumers by requiring the mention [nano] in square brackets next to “Zinc Oxide” in the INCI list, Health Canada does not require manufacturers to disclose the presence of nanoparticles in their products. So you won’t know if your product contains potentially toxic nanoparticles or not…
Finally, the question of their application on injured skin, which is the case for diaper rash, arises and would not be recommended given the inconclusive results and lack of information on this subject.
Laboratoires Druide® No Zinc Paste For Diaper Rash
To guarantee effectiveness, quality and transparency to consumers and thus remove any doubt and limit exposure to allergens and other controversial substances, Laboratoires Druide® have developed a zinc-free diaper rash paste formula that is safe for your baby.
Enriched with nourishing shea butter, soothing calendula oil and softening plant waxes, this balm relieves redness and itching while protecting against chapping, roughness and cracking caused by dry skin from diaper use.
Rest easy and protect baby’s bottom with our No Zinc Paste for Diaper Rash already adopted by thousands of households!
Although this balm is perfect for infants, it is also perfect for adults who have to wear incontinence pants due to mobility problems, for example.
Finally, it will also suit the sensitive skin of children and adults to treat dryness, itching, redness or eczema.
What about you?
We hope that this article has helped you learn more about diaper rash, sort out the truth about the use of zinc oxide and, above all, convince you of the benefits of our No Zinc Paste for Diaper Rash, which has already been used by thousands of babies.
Please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this article. We always appreciate your feedback and are curious about your feelings about our products.
Have you already tested our No Zinc Paste for Diaper Rash (link to purchase) on your baby, or even on yourself, did you like it? Would you recommend it?
Finally, if you wish to complete your baby’s care routine, the BioLove Baby Care line from Laboratoires Druide® offers a wide range of certified organic and hypoallergenic cleansing and moisturizing products, perfectly formulated for the most sensitive skin.